2022: Disruptive materials, solutions, and technologies

This year’s challenge

How can we make the construction industry more efficient and sustainable through disruptive materials, solutions, and technologies?


The fourth edition of Progreso X’s open innovation program Exponential Changemakers, along with the business units of Progreso will focus on challenges that defy the way we approach construction processes addressing the areas of digitalized design, construction systems, and operational management.

The rapid urbanization process in Guatemala has generated opportunities to rethink how our spaces can adapt in a fair, orderly and sustainable way to fulfil the needs of the citizens and the conditions of the region.

According to the Guatemala's Urban Agenda projections, the country will have a predominantly urban population by 2032 (75%). In Guatemala City, this migratory flow from rural areas is reflected even more, with an annual growth rate close to 2%. As a result of this phenomenon, the demand for housing and urban services will increase exponentially.

Likewise, the housing deficit is estimated at 2.2 million, 20% of which is due to a lack of housing -quantitative deficit -, while the remaining 80% is due to a lack of access to basic services - qualitative deficit (Anacovi, 2021). Tackling this situation is one of the main challenges in the short term, especially because of the shortage of economic resources of the population to address it.

Therefore, this year’s Exponential Changemakers program will be addressing the challenges of constructive solutions that enable the development of buildings and cities according to the potential of each territory, as well as contributing to the reduction of the housing deficit and increasing the capacity of related services (e.g. water, energy efficiency and solid waste).Are you ready to become an exponential changemaker? Apply with your startup! Show us your experience, knowledge, skills, and passion for this initiative. Be part of the transformation of a region with many opportunities.

Challenges and use cases

Design processes

Identify design processes from the conceptualization of a real estate project to the construction plans that allow a more agile, sustainable, and efficient construction to increase the productive capacity.
  • BIM (Building Information Modeling).

  • Automated design platforms: serving as design repositories to increase productivity and promote efficiency.

Construction Systems

Seek new construction systems, with a focus on efficiency, sustainability, and flexibility, that challenge the way we are building and increase our productive capacity.
  • Prefabricated and modular off-site construction.

  • New advanced construction materials with applied technology such as 3D printing and alternative materials.

  • Robotics and machine-assisted 3 applications

Operational Management

Incorporate data-driven solutions that optimize the operational management of the supply chain and the on-site procurement to improve the communication, delivery time, reducing costs and mitigating risks.
  • Cloud, Big Data, predictive analytics, and real-time collaboration to improve the on-site procurement process, fleet tracking and inventory management.

  • 2 Methodologies to increase productivity and promote efficiency.


3DCP Group

The company has succesfully achieved firsthand implementation of state-of-the-art 3D construction printing technology. The aim is to build better, faster, greener and to reduce the amount of strenuous work in the construction process.


Offers construction-focused non-intrusive AI-driven solutions to digitize data collection, automate manual and repetitive tasks, predict workflow evolution and manage risks in real-time. We never force customers to change their current digital tools and processes but connect to existing digital ecosystem to provide value on top of it.

Automatic Construction 

Dropstitch fabric is a very efficient way to provide formwork for concrete, it is very inexpensive, and easy to implement.